Bundled software?

For software related questions and answers, notes, instructions
mysx
Kingpin

Bundled software?

Post by mysx »

Yet another post about converting audio from videos - NOT intended for COMMERSIAL COPYRIGHTED MOVIES/VIDEOS!
It's meanth for small homemade videos and sounds we want to hear again and again :wink:

I'd like to tell about my personal experience which hopefully can be helpful for some of the SSL members and we could find out together what's best to use right now. Some of us want more safety. Maybe we need to learn that bundled software isn't very harmful?

Nowadays a lot of free software is bundled with ads. Some developers like DVDVideoSoft is telling honestly that their software is bundled with ads, that is possible to opt out during the setup. It's very good they inform about it. As far as I know, Freemake and Pazera doesn't tell much.

Freemake
They make good tools that works very well, I've been using a few of their programs a long time till I learned that OpenCandy will be installed silent in the background and there's no way to opt it out. I've skipped Freemake since then, that's why I don't know if the latest versions still is behaving like that. However, OpenCandy doesn't seems to be dangerous and it's the developers way to keep their softwares free. What I don't like is when something is installed on my PC without telling me first. Also I guess that viruses might spread via ads even if the advertizing company is ok.

DVDVideoSoft
I'm not familjar with their software but since it's mentioned on this forum I will check it out. At every download page they say their software is bundled and I really appreciate that. Here's the text: "DVDVideoSoft's products are freeware. In order to maintain product development and provide you with high-quality software, DVDVideoSoft may bundle links to other websites and third-party apps installations including toolbars in its products. Every time DVDVideoSoft products are installed, you have an obvious option to accept or opt-out of such installations".
Again OpenCandy is present according to Wikipedia and I hope it's possible to opt out too.
Scroll the page to see the list of other softwares. Also check DVDVideoSoft FAQ

Pazera
I'm currently using Pazera WebM to Mp3, it can convert WebM, MP4, FLV and 3GP files to MP3 or WAV format. All Pazeras softwares is available both as setup and portable. A person at another forum said the setup files is bundled and someone answered the portables isn't bundled. Thats' why I've downloaded the portables only.

Feel free to make comments and correct me if I'm wrong about something I thought wasn't wrong :)

This post may be updated / corrected or even deleted by admin
Last edited by mysx on 24 Jan 2016 02:57, edited 2 times in total.
Sounds like sex
reggind
Knight

Re: Pazera, Freemake & DVDVideoSoft bundled?

Post by reggind »

I use the dvdsoft suite. You can opt out of all of the crap they try and put on your computer. You do need to choose the manual install though. The click through install will put a bunch of junk on your computer.
mysx
Kingpin

Post by mysx »

Ok thanks for the reply, I'll check it out :)
Sounds like sex
mysx
Kingpin

Post by mysx »

How to install manually? I found no option, I had to install normally.

DVDVideoSoft Free Studio contains 4 softwares that I don't need so I skipped it. I started with to install Free YouTube Download, then Free GIF Maker and Free Video Editor. There was nothing to opt out. Wasn't there any bundles? I guess OpenCandy was installed silently in the background.

OpenCandy isn't dangerous they say, still Firefox warned for harmful content when I would download the
CleanupTool at OpenCandy's homepage. I downloaded the tool anyway... Later AVG detected the cleanup
tool as MalSign.OpenCandy.7AF - Severity Medium :shock:

I'm not overreacting, Firefox and AVG maybe did in this case.

Back to DVDVideoSoft's FAQ / General questions / What is OpenCandy
"As we get many requests concerning malware (Open Candy) in one of DVDVideoSoft components, we would like to assure
you that this is not a virus but a tool that shows advertisements during the installation process. We would like to remind
you that you may just skip commercials and get DVDVideoSoft ads free products".

Later my PC freeze and I got blue screen. Seems like I've got a little more than expected...
Last edited by mysx on 23 Jan 2016 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
Sounds like sex
mysx
Kingpin

Post by mysx »

There was a modification of a security file that had to be replaced, and I've noticed that DVDVideoSoft softwares took a lot of space, so I uninstalled everything. If DVDVideoSoft is responsible I don't know but much smaller programs can do the same job.

I choose Pazera portables for now.
Sounds like sex