Want to buy a Recorder

For hardware related questions and answers, notes, instructions
man69

Want to buy a Recorder

Post by man69 »

Hello Community,

i want to buy a Recorder, as I read the Olympus have a good Price-Performance-Ratio.

Do you have any suggestions? It shall be a good one but still be payable...

I want to run it with an external Mic but it own Capacitys should also be well for mobile Recordings or anything like that (outside and so on)

I am sorry, for sure Google is your friend and I can research my own, but if you have any recommendations I would be appreciated for your advice.
It must not be Olympus, it's just that I have read here in the Forum that they have a good PPR...?

Thanks
edtraveller

Re: Want to buy a Recorder

Post by edtraveller »

I have an LS-P2 by Olympus. I love it, but there is a learning curve definitely. I invested also in a wind filter as sometimes there is air blowing through the bottom door crack. Slightly under $200 USD, accepts 32GB external (I am finally getting this tomorrow) but has 8GB internal- which is plenty if you are there with the recorder. Full pcm (wav) resolution 10-30 minutes of sex on it- you can get quite a few recordings before unit runs out of memory.
That said, you should still do some research. The USBs I use I can vouch will help you and anyone else here- but your primary recorder is a very personal tool, so you want something that answers all of your own unique needs. Good luck and when you find and use it please fill us all in!
πŸ§”πŸ‘±β€β™€οΈ=πŸ›=πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«β€πŸ’“πŸ’—πŸ’“πŸ’ž=πŸ˜–πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ₯΄=πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ« =🀰=πŸ‘ΆπŸ‘ΆπŸ‘Ά
physicist
Knight

Post by physicist »

hi man, if you know you are going to be getting regular recordings, a good quality olympus makes a huge difference. you won't regret it.

eventually, as gekko said, you play around with the settings and you find out what works best.

Otherwise if it is hotel captures where you aren't going to be around. USB works too.
thomas
Knight

Post by thomas »

in case you search for a reliable but cheap alternative I can recommend the Etekcity 2-in-1 8GB USB
man69

Post by man69 »

gekko1 wrote: ↑08 Aug 2017 06:49 I have an LS-P2 by Olympus. I love it, but there is a learning curve definitely. I invested also in a wind filter as sometimes there is air blowing through the bottom door crack. Slightly under $200 USD, accepts 32GB external (I am finally getting this tomorrow) but has 8GB internal- which is plenty if you are there with the recorder. Full pcm (wav) resolution 10-30 minutes of sex on it- you can get quite a few recordings before unit runs out of memory.
That said, you should still do some research. The USBs I use I can vouch will help you and anyone else here- but your primary recorder is a very personal tool, so you want something that answers all of your own unique needs. Good luck and when you find and use it please fill us all in!
Gekko, I've read a review of the LS-P2 and it seems to be a great device. Thanks for your suggestion!
I have just one question because I've read that it aint got no "real line in", do you know what that means? Particularly I thought about a good selfnoiseless recorder with the ability to "upgrade" it later with an external mic if necessary. The clue would be that the mic could be placed outside the room and maybe get clipped or anyhow fixed on the outer side of a window while the device itself would be inside and by this even not be seeable itself from the outer side.
It is an expensive device further, but I guess by all I have read that it might be worth it.
Anyhow! Thanks for your suggestion and I will keep this one in mind.

physicist wrote: ↑12 Aug 2017 11:53 hi man, if you know you are going to be getting regular recordings, a good quality olympus makes a huge difference. you won't regret it.

eventually, as gekko said, you play around with the settings and you find out what works best.

Otherwise if it is hotel captures where you aren't going to be around. USB works too.
Physicist, I recognize at least 2 times a week lovesongs from my window, and as I see it they are not every single time from the same Houses / Flats. For sure, this is more in the summer because the people closing their windows in winter...so your intention with regular recordings hits the mid of my point for not wanting to spend too much.
Elseway I have two time in the last recorded with my smartphone from the windows, but the quality is really bad and just makes sense if it gets cutted. Long sessions of roundabout 1 hour, but on the captures it is just hearable when it gets louder, and even then not really good. The smartphone is an old phone, but for my general purposes it does what it was made for.

thomas wrote: ↑13 Aug 2017 18:18 in case you search for a reliable but cheap alternative I can recommend the Etekcity 2-in-1 8GB USB
Thomas, thanks for your suggestion. If I should get one of them, then maybe just for backup purposes. My intention now is to be able to put an ext Mic on it which can be put outside the window while the recorder itself remains inside so it cant get destroyed by wind & weather as even it is not that easy to be spotted from the street.

I guess I will take a closer look to the Olympus Section. The LS-P2 seems to be a great recorder with a lot of settings and multidirectional recordability. The only negative is that it costs roundabout 200€ and this may be a bit too much for me.
Anyway, thank you guys for your replies, your thoughts and your suggestions!
edtraveller

Post by edtraveller »

Man69,

Probably (without divulging your ultimate purpose) you should ask a good retailer or call the manufacturer. I wouldn't even know where to begin with your question.

I am sure once you have your answer and get your hardware and settings together your captures are going to blow us away. You definitely know what you're doing!
πŸ§”πŸ‘±β€β™€οΈ=πŸ›=πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«β€πŸ’“πŸ’—πŸ’“πŸ’ž=πŸ˜–πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ₯΄=πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ« =🀰=πŸ‘ΆπŸ‘ΆπŸ‘Ά
LeStanf
Kingpin

Post by LeStanf »

I have a couple of Olympus recorders and they're certainly great - very sensitive and deliver high quality recordings. But they're also expensive, quite bulky and difficult to conceal. So my advise to a beginner is to get a low cos USB rEcorder from Amazon. The quality isn't as good but they're really small and easy to conceal, and most importantly they cost less than ten dollars so if you lose one (as happens sometimes) it's not that big a deal.

Also, if you get five or six low cost devices you can spread them around the hotel, which increases your chances of making a successul capture.

L.
man69

Post by man69 »

Gekko1, I hope so but I'm not really sure about it.
Your advice to ask the retailer or yet even the manufacturer about the line-in is a good idea, I'll keep it minded.
btw I got no idea what the reviewer meant with that statement, too... (really great device, just no "true line-in" (sic))

LeStanf, thanks for your advice. I have yet a really cheap USB but I figured out that even my Smartphone gets much better captures than this USB I got. In the USB there is always something like an internal clock ticking or so...it's really disturbing but I yet even have to say that it was really the cheapest one on the market, I guess... So maybe other (good) USBs would yet even beat my old Smartphone.
My Neighborship in the street is relatively "active" so I thought, especially in the summertime, it could be a good Idea to get some captures just by my own opened window. I can hear them but not really good capture them with my Phone... By thinking about this purpose I got the idea of a recordingdevice inside the room and maybe an external but qualitative mic outside the windows, maybe clipped anywhere or maybe yet even just hidden in a corner of the outer side of a window. This way I hope the device itself shouldn't be spottable and the mic itself is yet harder to get seen because of its smallness. That are just some thoughts and must not lead to (worthy) success, but giving it a try maybe shouldn't be too wrong either, at least I hope so. :)
Audio
Kingpin

Post by Audio »

I recommend also Olympus which you can extra top with the "conference solution ME30W" that has two external microphones with 360Β°coverage

https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/a/aud ... index.html

I think it will be suited for your window or balcony recordings but its not cheap...
"I must take my hat off in admiration for those intrepid aural lovers, who risk sleep deprivation, reputation, liberty, and life itself (perhaps) to capture the sounds that are posted to this website." Β© Forum-Member 'Soundbite'