Olympus DS-2

For hardware related questions and answers, notes, instructions
jthk

Olympus DS-2

Post by jthk »

Hi lads,

I just stumbled upon an Olympus Digital Voice Recorder, DS-2, and am wondering if it's any good? I've done a bit of research and it appears to be okay. This thing was left behind at a local event and I just picked it up. I'm wondering if I should trace the owner down to return it to him but . . . . now I have a free recorder.

Only problem though, is it's just the recorder and no accessories with it!
sc0tt-uk
Knight

Post by sc0tt-uk »

Personally, i've never been a big fan of how olympus encode the files they output. To my ears the iRiver T30 sounded way better, was smaller, and at the time cheaper. The olympus has its advantages no doubt, battery life is probably better and you won't find any voice activation or anything on most mp3 players with a record feature, but its differnt strokes for different folks.

If I were you, make a couple of test recordings of everyday stuff in a couple of different environments with different settings, and see what you think. If you're blown away and your morals can stand it, cash in and keep the free recorder. If not, may as well do a bit of detective work to trace the owner, earn yourself a few gold stars on the morality chart, make him a happy man, and shell out a bit of cash for something that does make you happy.