noice reduction SW tips

For software related questions and answers, notes, instructions
fuzzi

noice reduction SW tips

Post by fuzzi »

Hi guys,

can you mention some good software for remove/handle general background noise? Thanks for any advice.
reggind
Knight

Re: noice reduction SW tips

Post by reggind »

Audacity is the big free one. You need to sample some of the file that just has the noise and the noise reduction part of the program tries to subtract that out of the rest of the audio. In some cases it sort of works, but the default settings are way too aggressive for my taste. When this effect is overdone it leaves a swooshing and phasing sound in it's wake. I may be unique but I find this much more annoying that the noise that used to be there.

I should qualify that and say that I find the sound of the noise reduction more annoying than the noise, unless I am listening for something. Than I am not so concerned about the sound quality as I am in extracting a little something that is hidden under noise or something else.
mysx
Kingpin

Re: noice reduction SW tips

Post by mysx »

Magix audio cleaning lab isn't very hard to use but isn't free.
I don't want to buy it again so it will be outdated again, hehehe! There's only 1 year free update guarantee anyway :roll:
If you have only a few files to fix it's enough to download the trial, free 7 days. 30 days requires free registration.
When done you can uninstall it. (there's another Magix program to uninstall as well).

Audacity have a Noise Reduction plugin where one have to make a noise profile by selecting a region of the waveform which
contains only noise. However, if the file have much noise everything will be scaled down, even the sound you wanted to hear
better. And what's left of the sound isn't very pleasant to listen to. There's other plugins, filters that I haven't tested.
That's my experience, it depends on how much noise there is. Correct settings and some patience might help.
Read more about Audacity and similar programs at the web page below.

8 Best Free Audio Noise Reduction Software For Windows
Along with a list of freewares there's also some valuable information :wink:
http://listoffreeware.com/best-free-aud ... re-windows

listoffreeware.com appears to be safe but...
Some links at listoffreeware.com isn't very safe according to scan reports at URLVoid
I don't know what to believe anymore, it's up to you.
Sounds like sex