What is the best kind of recorder for if others find it???

For hardware related questions and answers, notes, instructions
lovergirl91
Kingpin

What is the best kind of recorder for if others find it???

Post by lovergirl91 »

When I make recordings it's on my phone. The downside of this is the phone has to be with me and so can only be used when someone is in the same or neighbouring room.

But there have been many times where I know sex is about to happen elsewhere and I'd like to leave a recorder there. I would never leave my phone unattended but if I did there's ultimate privacy as nobody would know anything is going on.

My phone solves two problems.
1, there's no flashing lights or notification indicating something is being recorded.
2, if they try to hook up the phone to their computer, they'll find it's encrypted and can't get anything off it.
So ultimate privacy!

What types of recorders would give that same level of privacy if found by someone? I've been looking up the USB recorders that many people mention here. It does solve the first problem, that someone who just sees it laying around won't know it's recording anything because it looks like a USB drive (and shouldn't have flashing lights if you choose the right one). But the second problem is still there, if they put the USB drive into their computer they'll realize there are recordings on it. (I know the odds are low of them doing that but it still concerns me.)

That's fine for if you're leaving it in a public place like a hotel corridor where if someone picks it up and discovers it's a recorder they won't know who left it there. But in other cases, like the corridor of your own home, they'll know that it was you.

I don't know if there's any kind of USB drives or other recorders that are encrypted or password-protected, or need some kind of physical key or whatever to hook up to the computer to get the files from it.

But unless I can find something like this I don't think I'll be able to do much recording. :( And I'm in a situation where I can really get some great ones, so I hope you have some good advice for me! :)
reggind
Knight

Re: What is the best kind of recorder for if others find it?

Post by reggind »

I have yet to find a USB stick recorder that encrypts or has the files that it creates hidden. I also have not found one that does not have a light on it.

However, you do bring up some good points about using your phone. If you look on ebay you can find the first generation Motorola Droids going for under $25 delivered on ebay. You need to add a micro sd card, and that will set you back another $10, but for around $35 bucks you can have an older gen smart phone you can use a a recorder. You do not need to activate the phone to use it like this. Look up the 4 corner click on the net. You can also use many apps and what not on it that do not depend on it having cellular service.

One added benefit with using phone is if you are in a public space, you can even ask if anybody has seen in, as if you lost it. Just be careful to keep your real phone turned off and hidden away.
Audio
Kingpin

Post by Audio »

lovergirl

There are USB sticks which look like ordinary usb sticks and can be used as usb sticks BUT are hidden Recorders. you can find them on Google. search for: "spy USB Audio Recorder". You will find ones that have no led light and start recording automaticall when there is Sound. they can record for 12 hours and longer depending on the internal storage.
"I must take my hat off in admiration for those intrepid aural lovers, who risk sleep deprivation, reputation, liberty, and life itself (perhaps) to capture the sounds that are posted to this website." © Forum-Member 'Soundbite'
magnate

Post by magnate »

I just got one of those sub recorders, and if it's one of the black ones made by DreamSky or others like it, the case snaps off and on with minimal fuss. Put a tiny square of electrical tape over the LED and you're set. Or you could even use other USB stick's case and the USB recorder's guts inside of it. Just use another one that's easy to snap off and on and if someone finds they won't see anything but a USB stick that doesn't say "VOICE RECORDER" all over it. I've been trying to think of something other than a USB stick to use as well...
reggind
Knight

Post by reggind »

I think the biggest issue with the USB stick recorders, and I have bought some of them. When I have time I will dissect one and post the results.. But all of them both have LED's, and that can be cured with some tape. But if they are found, I doubt you will ever get it back. And if it is found and than found to have sex sounds on it because it is not encrypted, that may cause some issues.

Now, I have seen some software for talking to the storage controller on some large USB sticks (Phison MPALL v3.72.0B). It seems some companies send out software on USB sticks these days and use that to make them read only. Once the software is obsolete you can tweak the controller to make them RW and used them as normal USB sticks... I am wondering if it would be possible to use similar software to make the stick write only, at least to the outside world. Than if it was found you still would not get it back, but at least the contents would be pretty well protected.

I still contend for a lot of recordings a used droid is the ticket.
Audio
Kingpin

Post by Audio »

i have read that there are spy usb recorder without LED light...you will find them when you search via google or amazon
"I must take my hat off in admiration for those intrepid aural lovers, who risk sleep deprivation, reputation, liberty, and life itself (perhaps) to capture the sounds that are posted to this website." © Forum-Member 'Soundbite'
sc0tt-uk
Knight

Post by sc0tt-uk »

Audio wrote:i have read that there are spy usb recorder without LED light...you will find them when you search via google or amazon
Yeah, that's a small perk, but I still haven't found anything with better security yet. Ideally, I'd like to be able to choose a less obvious directory name, or better, have the whole folder structure password protected/encrypted. This way, even if the stick was discovered, no harm done really.
Audio
Kingpin

Post by Audio »

here is one which comes without LED light. maybe there are some out where you can Password protect the folder structure...i guess you will Need to invest some time in Google search and probabaly order various manufactors, if you find one such, tell me.

http://www.amazon.de/Spy-Security-Audio ... uctDetails
sexsoundsinthedark
Kingpin

Post by sexsoundsinthedark »

the little thumb drive recorders are great but I didn't discover them when I first had a young beauty in the next apartment -

I just used voice recorder app on an old ipod touch, it had pretty good signal to noise ratio.
magnate

Post by magnate »

Not sure about the Droids but iPhones generally have pretty nice mics compared to the USB sticks. I see them on Amazon marketplace for under 30...
findu
Kingpin

Post by findu »

I think lovergirl is refering to a more private location with sounds of a couple she will know on a personal level. Leaving a second phone there may raise suspicion if the people will know that is not her actal phone, then why did she bring it and why is it there by their door?

Security wise it is probably still the best option.

Having sais that; you nowadays also get the proper covet recording machines like a pen that actually writes as a pen. Or a computer mouse, better still a plug socket, key ring et cetera.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quadband-GSM- ... 3aa6734599
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TECHNOLOG ... 2a4eb66108
sslx

Re: What is the best kind of recorder for if others find it???

Post by sslx »

I was also looking into a simple recorder that I can leave outside the door at night, and be able to easily replace if I lose them. Check these out:
Etekcity: http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-8GB-Port ... 00CH5U24A/
Bitzonic: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Voice-Rec ... B00SJC807Q
Best Voice Recorder: http://www.amazon.com/Voice-Recorder-Re ... 00OL1ADIS/
iGearPro: http://www.amazon.com/iGearPro-Spy-USB- ... 00W2GY2UY/
USB flash Drive & Electronics: http://www.amazon.com/USB-Drive-Recorde ... 00Q8FYXB8/
Tammano: http://www.amazon.com/Voice-Recorder-Me ... 00T8JFXXI/
Esky: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Recharge ... 00S7F1NXI/
They are very similar. I wish someone could compare them.
JohnGypsy

Re: What is the best kind of recorder for if others find it???

Post by JohnGypsy »

This is an old post, but I thought that I'd follow up with my opinions on these to hopefully help someone in the future. I'm a big fan of USB recorders and have had very good luck/quality with them. Here are my thoughts:
sslx wrote:I was also looking into a simple recorder that I can leave outside the door at night, and be able to easily replace if I lose them. Check these out:
Etekcity: http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-8GB-Port ... 00CH5U24A/
I removed this as a contender because it says "USB DISK RECORDER" right on it. I want something with some chance that someone that finds it will assume it is JUST a USB stick that got dropped -- not a recorder.
There are a bunch of them with this sort of design -- and this is what I generally use. They used to come in a dark black plastic and then you could just pry the metal outside off and it looked perfect! Now, they have gone to this semi-transparent plastic crap. So, if you can find it, look for this design, but with a dark plastic body -- and then just take the metal sides off. Note that this one DOES have a light, but it does NOT stay on when you are recording. It flashes to tell you it is starting and then stays off until you flip the switch to stop (and then it just flashes once to tell you it stopped).
This is the same design as the previous one, but in the actual black plastic that I mentioned was best. Mine basically look just like this, but I remove the metal shell. I can usually find them on Amazon or EBay for around $12 each if I look around enough.
Same thing as previous. Just another reseller.
Same, but rebranded. Appears to come in the translucent case and the dark black that we like. I haven't use this "Maxpro" branded one.
Another rebrand of the same thing. Just find the cheapest one that looks like these basically.
This one has the same problem as the first -- too obvious that it is a recorder.

Hope that helps some!