Best iPhone app for recording?

For software related questions and answers, notes, instructions
thaithai
Kingpin

Best iPhone app for recording?

Post by thaithai »

Hello,

so far I have relied on the in-built Voice Memos app for recording and it's not too bad.... however I was wondering if any of you know of any other iPhone apps that can give better results, particularly in terms of sound quality.

Thanks in advance :)
midnigh_flyer

Re: Best iPhone app for recording?

Post by midnigh_flyer »

I use Voice Record Pro by Dayana Networks Ltd.
thaithai
Kingpin

Post by thaithai »

I'll give it a go... thank you!
sc0tt-uk
Knight

Post by sc0tt-uk »

Sorry I'm a bit late on this one, but you might want to give fiRe 2 field recorder a shot. It does a ton of stuff, but the important one that I haven't seen anywhere else yet is that it can bypass the processing that iOS applies to recordings by default. Having made a few test recordings, it turns out that the mic in the iPhone is a fair bit more capable than I thought, but being marred by Apple's processing layer. Without it, you'll notice much more low end, less compression hence a lower noise flaw and less hiss. It doesn't have the little EQ bump to emphasize vocals without the iOS processing on, but that's A) a worthy trade off and B) easy to apply later if it turns out that it'll really make a difference to a particular recording. The processing Apple applies makes perfect sense if the sounds coming into that mic were destined for transmission over phone lines, Skype, or other such scenarios, but IMO SSLers would be better off without it.
physicist
Knight

Post by physicist »

Any suggestions for android? :)
stiff50

Post by stiff50 »

Sleeptalk recorder , its voice activated just set it and leave to record when it hears a sound
stiff50

Post by stiff50 »

Should also have said Sleeptalk has got some pretty good captures in its upload bit too !! I dont think the content gets checked much
physicist
Knight

Post by physicist »

stiff50 wrote:Should also have said Sleeptalk has got some pretty good captures in its upload bit too !! I dont think the content gets checked much
you mean people upload their neighbours on the app?
Medium74

Post by Medium74 »

midnigh_flyer wrote:I use Voice Record Pro by Dayana Networks Ltd.
Thanks i give this a try ;)
Turmoil123
Kingpin

Post by Turmoil123 »

I'm intrigued that the iPhone mic has a lot more capability when not recording in the build-in app.