Recorder advice

For hardware related questions and answers, notes, instructions
87warthunder87

Recorder advice

Post by 87warthunder87 »

We are 5 roomated in a dorm, one of my roomated got a new freaking hot gf.
i got unlimited access to his room, so planting and picking the recorder wont be a problem.
But, i want a recorder that won't look like a recorder, so if he watch it, it won't catch his eye as something unusual.
Any suggestions ?
physicist
Knight

Re: Recorder advice

Post by physicist »

Get a USB recorder from ebay. I don't think planting it in his room would be a great idea though just in case.

Otherwise you can always place any recorder near the bottom door gap with the mic of the recorder facing the gap and wait outside during his activities. when hes done, you walk away.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

87warthunder87 wrote:We are 5 roomated in a dorm, one of my roomated got a new freaking hot gf.
i got unlimited access to his room, so planting and picking the recorder wont be a problem.
But, i want a recorder that won't look like a recorder, so if he watch it, it won't catch his eye as something unusual.
Any suggestions ?
this sounds a promising situation! you could go with a USB, just make sure you hide it somewhere. I would suggest you get a 2 or 3 or them as they are cheap and rotate them so you always have charge.

get something like this 16GB Mini USB Memory Stick Digital Voice Recorder Dictaphone Aluminium Alloy-with Free Caring Boxes- Flash Drive Voice Sound Record - 15£ (this is better than the standard because it has a decent 25m range on it)

alternatively you can buy one of those pens which also records for ultra-discretion

as to where - depends on your situation. does his bedroom face the back of the house? several floors up? how thin are the walls?is your room next to his (thinking airvent or plugsocket)? if he keeps his window open this is a good place providing his room is no more than a floor up?

the ideal is outside of his room because then you have access to it at inconvenient times eg they return but you haven't placed it for some reason, or you put it there one night, but they only do it in the morning (again when battery dead)

if you end up putting it in his room fine, but make sure it is nowhere near the bed as you will pick up the squeaks. perhaps in one of the drawers or wardrobe or if there is a loose bit of carpet at the corner of the room, under there. or cut out the 'inside' of the middle pages of a book so the recorder nestles inside so it's hidden on his bookcase. or if he has plants, then inside the vase (don't soil it ;))

problem with putting it under his door and waiting is that you will be heard moving on the floorboards and you don't want that to happen :) you want them to feel assured of peace and privacy :)
87warthunder87

Post by 87warthunder87 »

I can't stand behind his door for 2 reasons.
1. we are 5 roomates.
2. Like the guy above me said, they will hear me when i move.
Placing the recorder near his door is a bad idea as well, same reasons, i will need to pick the usb when they done and again, they will hear me.
About the recorder, what you think about this one :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESYNiC-16GB-Min ... Swl-FXM~KL
?
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

yep that's the sort. the light flashes for a couple of seconds when you switch it on then goes off. happy hunting!
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

any luck warthunder??
87warthunder87

Post by 87warthunder87 »

I just got it two days ago.
Was testing it and every like 1 min there is a spike with horrible noice and then it back to normal so i think i got a fucked up recorder.
other then that he records fine so i am just waiting them to arrive sometime this week and i will try it out.
87warthunder87

Post by 87warthunder87 »

Jeremy wrote:any luck warthunder??
So ...
They came to our aparment today, i placed the usb but after like an hour that the sat in the living room they went to her place :(
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

87warthunder87 wrote:
So ...
They came to our aparment today, i placed the usb but after like an hour that the sat in the living room they went to her place :(
If that becomes a habit follow them. If she lives alone you can guarantee she will be noisier so it'll be worth it ;)
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Do u know if they are regular?
87warthunder87

Post by 87warthunder87 »

Jeremy wrote:
87warthunder87 wrote:
So ...
If that becomes a habit follow them. If she lives alone you can guarantee she will be noisier so it'll be worth it ;)
impossible, she lives with 4 more roomated :<
Jeremy wrote:Do u know if they are regular?
Ye, now she is gone for around a week so i will just have to wait till she's back and hope they will do it again in his room.