Request for assistance if possible.

For hardware related questions and answers, notes, instructions
jedm72

Request for assistance if possible.

Post by jedm72 »

Hi all.

I have had a very average week. My PC got fried by some sort of power surge - that touched nothing else in the house and 3 of my HDD got killed. 2 I was able to recover after 2 days of data recovery and messing about. 1 drive was completely screwed.

Did I backup? The drive that got killed WAS the interim backup as I was about to transfer all the files off onto an external USB HDD. Yes I f'ked up.

I lost every sound file on my list I posted last week. I have also lost all my vid files - and there were a shit load of these.

If anyone cares to look at my list and let me know if you got any of my old stuff that would be great.

The vid files really hurt. I have been collecting some of those for ages :(.

I am still working on recovering the data - but the drive is really busted up - and data recovery is one of the things I am good at. Time for the clean room guys I think.

Sorry to all on here that were waiting for me to post files. I did try last week but for some reason the files would not go through.

I will just have to go looking again.

J
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

Sorry to hear that J.

I won´t be much help as something quite similar happened to me recently. My sound depot (unpublished sounds) and my vid collection got away - the only good thing is that all my (published) sounds were archived at here yeppie.org.

if the clean room guys weren´t that expensive, i would have tried them ... but what would they have thought if they saw my collections?

yeppie
sc0tt-uk
Knight

Post by sc0tt-uk »

ooooh man... I feel your pain!

The only files that I have off your list ar the uklasses series as far as I know. They're on a drive I can't get too, but I'm hoping my new caddy will be arriving early next week, so if you haven't had any luck by then shoot me a PM with your email addy and I'll get them over to ya.

good luck with the recovery
Sc0tt-uk
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

Please excuse me for being stupid!
If anyone cares to look at my list and let me know if you got any of my old stuff that would be great.
Of course I can help with this petition. I have crawled the archives and found some of your clips published. Some more I do remember very well (from the names) but these are the ones that I lost in my harddisk crash.

I have risen the amount of disk space that is available for file uploads to 200mb temporarily and will make use of the extra space by uploading those files from the archives.

Watch out, there will be a thread called "reposts" in the various section of the community soon.

yeppie
jedm72

EVERYONE IS AWESOME - YEPPIE IS SLIGHTLY MORE AWESOME

Post by jedm72 »

Thanks to all who replied.

I am that bloody angry at myself for not having backed the files up properly.

Thanks yeppie for your posts. I got them down.

Now for the good news. I have got onto the newsgroups after finally getting PC working half ok - 400+Mb of files on the alt.binaries.erotic.sounds newsgroup - which I now have. And yes I have also put them immediately onto an external HDD just in case.

I will post a list as I would not be surprised if someone from here posted them. They are somewhat different from what I have heard before. Might be caps from video as the sound is a bit stuffed on a great many of them. I have not got my sound software up and going just yet so no editing to be done for at least a week.

Seeing as I had no joy in posting my original files - either bandwidth trouble or start of my PC dying - if you are happy with this following arrangement yeppie - I will email the files - if there are any you don't already have of the new stuff I picked up today. It will be slower to do - but probably more certain to get to you.

I will put up list of files I got ASAP.

Thanks again.

J
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

Hi Jedm

Thanks for your efforts - yes, you may email the sounds (y e p p i e 6 3 at e m a i l dot d e) and I will post them on your behalf.

One warning concerning the HDD: my crash was a crash of the external HDD that should have served as permanent data storage for my adult collection. Not the harddisk itself was the reason but the electronic control. Easy to solve I thought but than I had to learn that you do not get any support from Western Digital when it comes to the controller and that you need to have a controller card that has been manufactured with the same series as the originial one. The harddisk of the same type that I bought from Ebay to swap the controller card was useless as it was built a few months after mine.

So you need at least two external HDD if you want to backup your files there.

Yeppie
jedm72

Made a file list - and DL more files

Post by jedm72 »

Hi yeppie and all others :0

I have made a file list but it is about to become redundant as I found new files tonight. I will wait a few hours and then post the whole lot.

You are correct on the HDD controller issue. I had 2 drives manufactured at the same time same model everything - swaped the controller board on the good one and replaced the one on the HDD that only makes noises and it still only makes noises. Possibly also fried the board from the good drive - so I may now had 2 dead drives. Luckily one was all empty so no more lost files.

Found a really good file listing program. Is very small and easy to use. If anyone is interested go here :-

http://home.a03.itscom.net/tsuzu/programing/en/

Is called LS. 56k or so large. Good for making lists and not needing to go "print" to file.

I will ping the list through shortly.

J
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

Thanks, I downloaded LS and will give it a try. I did know only a script called Dirhtml which does something similar - creates a html file list.