The Olympus Recorder Lives On

For hardware related questions and answers, notes, instructions
psymedia

The Olympus Recorder Lives On

Post by psymedia »

Lost my olympus a couple of days befgore Christmas, slipped on some ice and my pocket wasn't zipped up, was devastated to relaise my Olympus recorder was gone, next day we had 4 foot of snow. 2 months later the snow has only just melted in the last weeks and daily i've been retracing my steps to no avail. Out today furstrated at the reality it was gone for good, kicking the dirt as i decided to forget it and go home, then a little flash of sun in the dirt, under a log i see the sun reflecting on the olympus screen, 3 feet from a main trail where 10's of people walk their dogs daily. Got it home the screen was a little fogged so i stripped it and gave it some hairdryer treatment, tested with some fresh batteries and all is good she survived being under 3' of snow for 2 months, main batteries on charge recorder will be back in action tonight, from my 'walks' i see someone has a multipack of rainbow coloured condoms and seem to be using them frequently hope my luck is in for some nice recordings now the weather is improving.

Cannot recommend olympus's enough, last year it survived 1 month buried in snow in a bag, this year buried in snow with no bag for protection for 2 months the thing is indestructable! Also their sound quality is top notch.
reggind
Knight

Re: The Olympus Recorder Lives On

Post by reggind »

Watch the hairdryer treatment. Generally you are better off with a slow drying. I do a lot of baking and I built a proofing oven. It tops out at about 100 degrees F and that works real well for taking the moisture out of stuff.

Good job finding the thing BTW. I have an awful track record for loosing things in the woods and not being able to find them. But we don't have really well defined paths.
psymedia

Post by psymedia »

Seems to be working perfectly managed to get 9hrs on the couple of hrs charge i gave the batteries yesterday, no catch but means we are back in play for some soon enough, giving the batts a full 8hrs charge as we speak so they should be good for a 48hr recording and today is the start of a long weekend public holiday to mark when the russians came from the sky and saved the bulgarians from the ottoman empire, 11am and people are hitting the rakia (moonshine)already so hopefully people will be in the mood to party in the woods tonight ;)
Jabberwocky75

Post by Jabberwocky75 »

What model is the recorder Psy? I'm looking for a decent outdoor recorder and if yours survived that I may go for one of them!
HeWhoHsNoNm

Post by HeWhoHsNoNm »

Yeah so what is this thing?
HeWhoHsNoNm

Post by HeWhoHsNoNm »

Never mind i looked it up most of them cost like an arm and a leg or just pretty much a price I would not burn money for.