How Waterproof Are USBs?

For hardware related questions and answers, notes, instructions
emmpet8
Knight

How Waterproof Are USBs?

Post by emmpet8 »

Hi does anyone know how waterproof or resistant to water USBs are?

I ask this because I've been trying to capture a nice female neighbour making some sounds, although no luck as yet. To do this I leave the USB on a raised piece of my property when the window to her room is open (she has a room in a multi-let). At times the USB is left out for up to 16 hours and I know there have been a few brief rain showers while it has been out.

These sticks are Evistra and do not have mic holes and so far it hasn't seemed to have damaged any that have been rained on. The recordings are obviously useless at the point it's raining, as the sound of drops hitting the USB obliterates anything else. What I'm wondering though, is if they are caught in any prolonged and heavy spells of rain, is there much chance of damage?

Would appreciate any technical knowledge, thoughts or experiences on this matter if anyone can help.
stev4181

Re: How Waterproof Are USBs?

Post by stev4181 »

emmpet, I am a camping tent sound voyeur. I he'd left mine out lots of times for a whole night and day, often having to wait until it gets dark to retrieve them. As it always rains when I go camping, they are often wet. I have only ever had one which split at the case. I'm not technical but inside the USBs there is what looks like a tiny bag of something laying in the micro board. It looked like that had swelled add split the case. The USB still worked but my on off switch kept falling out. New USBs bought and job done. So my answer is, my USBs have never let me down in the rain....4ish years on😎
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

stev4181 wrote: ↑23 Oct 2017 23:55 emmpet, I am a camping tent sound voyeur. I he'd left mine out lots of times for a whole night and day, often having to wait until it gets dark to retrieve them. As it always rains when I go camping, they are often wet. I have only ever had one which split at the case. I'm not technical but inside the USBs there is what looks like a tiny bag of something laying in the micro board. It looked like that had swelled add split the case. The USB still worked but my on off switch kept falling out. New USBs bought and job done. So my answer is, my USBs have never let me down in the rain....4ish years on😎
Many thanks for that. I'll risk it with one tonight and see how it goes.

I had some fun listening when I used to go camping a lot. I went again a couple of years ago, but in spite of recording what I thought were likely targets, I got nothing. Hope you have more luck.
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

Left it out on a stormy night when it rained and it's still working fine. There was a downside though, as the 12 hours recording didn't have the slightest hint of sex. Maybe tonight?
stev4181

Post by stev4181 »

Lol... Good things comets those who wait, or so old mum always says. I can feel your pain regarding difficulty in getting good targets when camping. This summer I had a dead cert beautiful French cpl, he was all over her when they were putting the tent up. They went for food straight away so I planted a USB, guess what?!?!... Not a hint of sex😫 They watched two French action films on the phone or something. I know his as I had to listen through the whole recording to find there was nothing. She was stunning too, which made it even worse. Never mind, good things come to those who wait... Lol 😎
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

stev4181 wrote: ↑26 Oct 2017 00:43 They watched two French action films on the phone or something. I know his as I had to listen through the whole recording to find there was nothing. She was stunning too, which made it even worse. Never mind, good things come to those who wait... Lol 😎
I know how you must have felt and the thought of you having to listen through two French action films made me laugh - apologies, but I couldn't help it :lol: As for good things coming to those who wait, it's a case of how long will I have to wait? I have literally recorded hundreds of hours of neighbours in two of the multi-let rooms next door over the last two months. Nothing :x

Maybe the waiting could be over though. I've got 7 hours to listen to from one of the rooms last night and who knows? I'm not holding my breath though :roll:

The previous night didn't produce anything either, but the stick got wet again and it still worked fine. One positive at least.