Contact microphone

For hardware related questions and answers, notes, instructions
Dada

Contact microphone

Post by Dada »

Hello, im new here .
A question, is there a difference between profesional listen through wall contact mic to a simple musical piezo contact mic from amazon? Or is there other contact mics you know?

I have a simple mixer with preamp and usb recording, i can play with the gain and high and low.. (i think with preamp. Im almost sure)
I thought to buy the piezo from amazon and use it. ( i have also small listening and i suppose to get from ebay f999b.
I thinking about the triple piezo to put in different places on the wall and get better sound.
jcd77

Re: Contact microphone

Post by jcd77 »

Own experience isn't great. Expensive and very fragile, definitely doesn't travel well (e.g. if carrying in luggage, expect it to break after a while). And you'll only amplify what you could already hear with the naked ear, the sound tends to be very muted if the walls are even a bit thick. If you're looking at a scenario where you're recording through thin walls they may be OK. Only recall one half-decent contact mic effort on here, and it was very quiet. Be interested in others experience though.