Editing Advice

For software related questions and answers, notes, instructions
mrgraham99
Kingpin

Editing Advice

Post by mrgraham99 »

Hi All,
A bit of advice needed please...ive got a 700mb file in WMA format (13hrs long). If i convert to mp3 it reduces the file to 470mb (5hrs) and i lose the section i want to download. Should i manipulate the file in WMA format first, before converting? If so, can anyone recommend a software tool?

For info, im using an Olympus WS-560m recorder.

Many Thanks
sc0tt-uk
Knight

Re: Editing Advice

Post by sc0tt-uk »

Hi,

What software are you currently using to convert that WMA file to MP3? I ask because, though the file size might change depending on your choice of bitrate and suchlike, the lenth shouldn't be cut down at all.

You're definitely heading along the right lines by trying to convert the file first, as there are so many more tools that can work directly with mp3 format.
With a file this big, I'd start by copying it off of your Olympus and working with it on disk first of all, access times will be faster this way and you're less likely to run out of space half way through the job.

Software-wise, one free option that did a good job of transcoding a ton of formats last I looked is Foobar2000. You can get it from www.foobar2000.org

Once you've got it into mp3 format, if you know the rough time range of the part of the file you want to keep, you might be able to save some time by using a file splitter to chop quickly down to that part and work on tidying up that small chunk instead of importing the whole 13 hours. There are a ton of free mp3 splitters that will come from a Google search, I use a simple one called MP3Clip for quick and dirty splits like this.

I haven't seen your particular model of Olympus, but for future reference, if it is possible to record directly to mp3 it'd be worth doing. WMA has absolutely no advantage in terms of sound quality other than at seriously low bitrates, and as you've discovered, it's a pain in the ass to tinker with afterward!

Hope that helps a bit. Feel free to ask anything you get stuck with, no question is too big or small here man :)

Sc0tt-uk

PS. Out of curiosity, what's the action you're trying to get at here? I'm wondering what we've got to look forward too...
mrgraham99
Kingpin

Post by mrgraham99 »

Hey Scott,
Thanks for the info....yes, I'm sticking onto disk first before manipulating the file. I only need the first small section of the recording and know exactly where to find it in the WMA format, but can't locate it in the formatted shortened MP3 version.....maybe I can slice it before converting it?

...did some work in The Netherlands recently, nice hotel but very poor sound-proofing. Picked up a neat little recording of a young Dutch couple that I want to share. I'll have another go with it today, I've downloaded a copy of Sound Forge to have a look at.
mrgraham99
Kingpin

Post by mrgraham99 »

Scott,
Thanks for the advice, I managed to get it sorted using a nice little tool called SolveigMM Video Splitter. It allows you to slice the file and converts to MP3 at the same time:-)

Posted the little clip in the Motel section, hope you like.