Put the recorder on high sensitivity och normal.. *optimal setting!*

For hardware related questions and answers, notes, instructions
bukkakemaster
Kingpin

Put the recorder on high sensitivity och normal.. *optimal setting!*

Post by bukkakemaster »

This question came up suddenly..

As my recorder is a Sony Digital Voice Recorder - ICDPX333 and well i have been recording for a while and have posted a amount before in soundfiles!
But now i have started to wonder if highsensitivty is a disanvantage as a setting while i record in the staircase and the area has some aircondition och ventilation sound that is almost impossible to go around.. And well ECHOE too *And well i miss the fact of doing clear recordings, without alot of afterprocessing and increasing the humming/hiss noise if i amplify the soundlevel of the lovesound!*

Get the picture! So do you have experience if turning of sensitivity from high to medium is better for the soundquality.. Or do i miss important details! I know it is abit stupid question becase i have been posting quite clear sounds, and done wall recordings that sometimes feel quite better than doing recordings in the staricase where there are 3 neighbours only :D 2 girl and a guy.. Ofcourse everyone lives in their on separate appartment..

Give me guidance.. I have dared to just test normal sensitivity, only high.. *IF i would catch that epic moment i am waiting for!* And ofcouse miss that if i have the settings wrong!
reggind
Knight

Re: Put the recorder on high sensitivity och normal.. *optimal setting!*

Post by reggind »

IMHO you are better with the high sensitivity setting. You are correct that if there is an HVAC system that you will get noise from that, but you will get the same amount of noise from that regardless. Ditto with the echo, you will get the same echo. If you record with low sensitivity everything will be lower and there will be less good data to work with. The one thing we can not do is make up new data so IMHO we are better off getting more data, even if we get proportionally more noise. Our audio tools stand a chance of picking the good data out. If the recording is very quiet there is less good data to pick at.

I
bukkakemaster
Kingpin

Re: Put the recorder on high sensitivity och normal.. *optimal setting!*

Post by bukkakemaster »

So true.. One good thing/against a bad thing! *Now i have checked how i went with less sensitivity, and well not bad.. But i have set the dictaphone again on sensitivity high! And it´s on it´s rightful newfound place that maybe capture that special moment in the future! Looks like it pics upp 2 places olmost, but hard to say yet because the new placing isnt tested before! So i let it run from now until tomorrow when i pic it up. Minimun chance to be found and not a obvious finding place!

Great to have some aspekts of good and bad, more job and less audio processing!

Let´s see tomorrow what the audiotool says when i check it..