Where's the mic?

For hardware related questions and answers, notes, instructions
fynens

Where's the mic?

Post by fynens »

I bought a Maxpro usb voice recorder. Not wanting to accidentally to block the microphone I would like to know where is the mic located? On Youtube a video says it's located with the diode light that lights when the Maxpro is turned on, but that can't be so. I put a finger over the light opening while test recording and that made no difference at all in recording quality. I can't spot any opening at all that might show where the mic is, I also can't find a website for the Maxpro that might give information.
Can anyone help me?
reggind
Knight

Re: Where's the mic?

Post by reggind »

The mic is normally a little pin hole, it can be hard to spot. Send a link to the USB. I just lost one and I am looking for a replacement.
fynens

Post by fynens »

Here's where I bought it. https://www.amazon.com/Usb-Flash-Drive- ... e+recorder. I'm not endorsing this recorder yet because I haven't had a chance to use under field conditions. It might be a good enough recorder, but the silver color isn't the best maybe if you want it not to be noticed. I don't know about the other recorders but the battery life of this one isn't very impressive either. 16 hours, but memory enough for about 72 hours of audio recording. I've in mind a good place to stash the recorder, but it might be a week or longer before I can get access to retrieve it. 2 or 3 days battery life would greatly increase the chance of it recording something interesting. I still haven't located the microphone placement.
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

I own two of these devices (or very similar ones) and I also can´t find any holes indicating the mic-placement. But, from the pictures on your amazon link it seems obvious that the mic must be placed at the end where the LED is located.
Sexsounds are Poetry for Adults
reggind
Knight

Post by reggind »

As long as you still get a clear recording if you put black tape over the LED's the exact placement of the mic on the stick should not matter.

The battery life seems to be the achilles heal in all of these devices. They all seem to have more memory than they can record to on one recharge.