Spectral Frequency Display

For "how to do this" questions and answers, notes, instructions
emmpet8
Knight

Spectral Frequency Display

Post by emmpet8 »

Apologies if this is going over old ground, butI recently mentioned removing the bottom 300 Hz ( a bit drastic but okay with the file in question) from the 'Cape Town' clip. I then got a request to explain how I did it. The answer is that I edit in "Spectral Frequency Display." I use Audition and can't be sure, but think most apps offer the facility, as it's been around for quite a while. It enables you to see sounds by showing frequencies and volume.

Regarding the file I was asked about, I could literally see that all the girl's sounds were above the frequency I removed and there was a lot of wind noise in that frequency range. Again, I don't know about other apps, but in Audition, if you want to remove very specific sounds (phones, sirens, etc) with Adaptive Noise Reduction, then SFD is essential. You can also just select a sound with something like the Marquee Selection Tool and delete. That can be useful if there's something like a car, where the volume is drowning out other sounds that you can see are there, but can't hear.

I'm not an expert, but there are plenty out there and YouTube is a pretty good place to start for tutorials if you want to learn more about using it.
Limpaz

Re: Spectral Frequency Display

Post by Limpaz »

Thank you for taking the time to post a thread regarding SFD, I am new to this and would really love to get the best sound possible from a recording.