is it possible to download all files at once?

For "how to do this" questions and answers, notes, instructions
simon1138

is it possible to download all files at once?

Post by simon1138 »

Hello,
much like in the title, is it possible to download all sound clips at once instead of clicking each individual file and downloading?
thanks
simon
yeppie
Site Admin

Re: is it possible to download all files at once?

Post by yeppie »

Hi Simon,
no, it isn´t and it doesn´t seem desirable. We rather prefer members to take part in the discussion, to at least read the threads than to just download and go. In fact we once had a page with a linklist for all attachments which was abandoned after a similar discussion about the directions in which the community should be developed.
Sexsounds are Poetry for Adults
simon1138

Post by simon1138 »

sorry i meant the archives not the threads. i assumed there may be a difference.
reggind
Knight

Post by reggind »

There is something just shy of like 60GB of stuff in the archives. You would be at it for a *very* long time, even with a fast connection. Your best bet is using the search and finding either contributors that you like and grabbing a lot of their stiff, or use keywords and grab stuff that matches them. You can tag as many things at once as your browser allows, I think that is typically 6 at a time. Even with 6 you will see the speed of the longer files go up as the shorter files finish downloading. More that that and you just loose efficiency and if you get a network hiccup you loose a more stuff.
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

simon1138 wrote: 13 Mar 2018 23:40 sorry i meant the archives not the threads. i assumed there may be a difference.
Oh, I see. Now that makes more sense to me ;-)

There has been a zip option in the beginning of the archives where you could choose to pack and download a folder in one go. I had to deactivate that option years ago because it used to crash the server when amounts of data got huge. Packing the bigger folders demands too much capacities on the server, packing just the small folders wouldn´t help anybody.

68GB and growing, reg :-)
Sexsounds are Poetry for Adults
physicist
Knight

Post by physicist »

Why would you even want to download everything from the archive? It is huge. 10s of thousands of files and counting.

If you wanted to listen to everything, it would take a few lifetimes. I'm not sure if anyone has that time.

What you will find is that not all the sounds are to your taste. You will like some and dislike some because of various reasons. The story, the setting, the quality etc. You will find yourself only coming back to a few of those sounds over and over as they will be your favourites. I know its the case with me. I tend to listen to stuff I like which probably consists of less than 10% of the archives.

My suggestion to anyone looking for something in the archive is that you search a particular keyword using the forums.

So say you want a french recording, you search for "french" using the forum search feature. Then you go through the threads, match up the users and the story in the archives and see what you like and what you don't like. You could do that with various keywords of captures that are to your taste.

Hope this helps